Thursday, October 1, 2009

Time to drop the puck

Oh yeah!! The best time of the year. The summer heat is starting to fade (mostly). The cool nights are back, and the calendar has switched to October. What a great month.

It's hockey time!!! You can take the Super Bowl. You can take a game 7 of the World Series or the NBA Finals. The Daytona 500 and Indy 500... all yours. I'll take a game #43 of the hockey season over any of those.

Guys bigger than me, flying around the ice, swinging sticks, smashing into other guys bigger than me. A disc of galvanized rubber being smacked towards a goalie at nearly 100 MPH. (Goalie has to be thinking "what the heck am I doing here" every once in a while). And these guys are doing this on ice skates.

Let's not forget, that every once in a while these same guys, on those same ice skates, drop their gloves and let the knuckles fly. What could be better?

What's better, is when all this goes on during the playoffs. Thanks to a good friend of mine, I've been able to attend a few playoff games. You will NEVER find a more exciting sports venue than a hockey playoff game. It is absolutely insane.

Hockey... the only sporting event that I can watch on television without the remote control in my hand. Yes ladies, believe it or not, a guy actually puts the remote control down every once in a while. Even the hockey commercials are worth watching.

If you've never been to a hockey game, please go. If there are no teams close by, try it on television. At first, it will be tough to follow on the telly, but give it a chance. And if you do go to a game, I promise you'll enjoy it.

Bring on the body checks, bring on the power plays. The season starts tonight, and I can finally tell my kids, "Sorry guys, no Disney Channel, Noggin, or Animal Planet tonight. Dad gets control of the TV".

Enjoy folks. I know I will.

1 comment:

  1. er..tell the kids what?? How's the bejeweled blitz going :)~ Sharks just scored!

    ReplyDelete