Monday, August 9, 2010

The Final Inspection

I read an article on a news website. It talked about a county sheriff's department, and how they are once again facing a large amount of layoffs, and how they have come up with a possible solution to save 85 of those positions. The article itself was interesting, but a guest comment after the article caught my eye. He recited a poem. This poem was originally penned by a US Marine Sergeant, for his fellow soldiers. Over time, it became interchanged with law enforcement. I think it fits well with both professions. I post this because, as a result of today's economy, cities and counties try to do what they can to save money, and like any other profession, law enforcement is a target for those savings.

For those of you out there that think law enforcement officers "make too much money" or have "too high of a pension", I implore of you... the next time you see a law enforcement officer, stop and really think about just what responsibilities that officer has, and the types of situations they have to deal with. Then read this poem. Finally, ask yourself one last time... Are law enforcement personnel really overpaid?

"The Final Inspection"

The policeman stood and faced his God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining.
Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, policeman.
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My church have you been true?"

The policeman squared his shoulders and said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't,
Because those of us who carry badges
can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
and at times my talk was rough,
and sometimes I've been violent,
Because the streets are awfully tough.

But I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep....
Though I worked a lot of overtime
When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around
Except to calm their fear.

If you've a place for me here,
Lord, It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't.....I'll understand.

There was silence all around the throne
Where the saints had often trod.
As the policeman waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, policeman,
You've borne your burdens well.
Come walk a beat on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in hell."

For all of you out there in the military, and in law enforcement... Thank You, and come home safe after every battle, or every shift.

2 comments:

  1. *standing ovation!*

    I loved it and have to share it with others!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done babe! I agree with Jeri, a standing ovation indeed. I am very proud of you and love you more everyday!

    ReplyDelete